WALTON-ON-THAMES BOWLING CLUB CONSTITUTION
1. The Club shall be called Walton-on-Thames Bowling Club, and shall be located at Elm Grove
Recreation Ground, Hersham Road, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 JLH
2. The objects of the Club will be to provide bowling and social facilities for all ages and gender.
3. The Club shall be affiliated to the Bowls England, Surrey County Bowling Association, Surrey
County Women’s Bowling Association and the North West Surrey Bowling Association.
4. No alterations or additions to the Club Constitution shall be made except at an Annual General
Meeting, Pre-season Meeting or at a Special General Meeting convened for that purpose, in
accordance with the section entitled ‘Club Meetings’. In this case the majority must be two thirds of
those present and entitled to vote.
5. The Management Committee shall be responsible for maintaining, amending and publishing the Club By-Laws.
Management Committee Set-up and Responsibilities.
6. The day to day management of the Club shall be the responsibility of the Management Committee
which shall consist of a President, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Club Captain, Club Vice
Captain, Fixture Secretary. Competition Secretary, Bar Manager, Social Organizer, and Green Ranger.
Other members may be co-opted if required and the committee must have a minimum of three
representatives from each gender.
7. The Management Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and take office
immediately following the meeting. Election is for one year, but all are eligible for re-election. All
voting for Officers and Committee members shall be by secret ballot and the meeting shall appoint
two scrutineers who shall be responsible for destroying the ballot papers after the announcement of
8. The President, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer shall act as the Trustees of the Club, as
referred to in the Club’s Lease with The Elmbridge Borough Council. The Trustees shall be
indemnified against risk and expense of, of the Club property and against any default in the Club not
meeting the Terms and Conditions of the Lease.
9. Membership of the Club shall imply an obligation to indemnify the Office Holders and Committee
Members of and from all liability undertaken by them on behalf of the other Members.
10. Nominations for Officers and Management Committee Members shall be submitted in writing to the
Honorary Secretary not less than seven days prior to the AGM. Each Nomination shall have the
consent of the Nominee and have a proposer and seconder who shall be full Members of the Club.
11. Any vacancy arising on the Management Committee during the year shall be filled by appointment by the Committee, and such person(s) shall serve until the next AGM.
12. The Management Committee shall have the power to appoint for special purposes such
Sub-committees as deemed necessary, and when desirable such Sub-committees may include
members of the main Committee.
13. The Management Committee shall appoint a member to be responsible for policy and procedure for Children and Vulnerable Adults.Management Committee Meetings.
14. The Management Committee shall meet not less often than once every two months during the bowling season and at such other times as the committee considers necessary. The Honorary Secretary shall give prior notice of meetings to all Management Committee members and shall be responsible for the recording of the minutes of all meetings. The quorum for a Management Committee meeting shall be five members. At all Management Committee meetings of the Club, the President, or in the absence of the President, whoever is chairing the meeting shall have the casting vote.
15. Any Minute passed at a Management Committee Meeting can only be rescinded by a vote at a General Meeting called for that purpose, and only by a majority of Two thirds of those Members present and entitled to vote.
16. The Club Annual General Meeting shall be held not later than the end of October each year, at which meeting the election of the Officers and Management Committee members for the ensuing year shall take place, the unaudited Report and Accounts for the past year ended 30th September shall be presented, and the subscription/or the .following year shall be determined. All Club Members shall be entitled to attend, but only Full Members may vote at the Club Annual General Meeting. (See also Par. 22).
17. A Special General Meeting may be convened at any time by the Honorary Secretary at the request of the Management Committee, or within 28 days of the receipt of a request in writing signed by at least ten members, specifying the purpose of the meeting. All members shall be given 21 days notice, embodying any motions to be discussed at the meeting. During the playing season, sufficient notice shall be deemed to have been given by posting the notice on the Club notice board for 21 days.
18. The Club‘s Annual Pre-Season Meeting will always be deemed to be a Special General Meeting.
Notice of any resolutions, including proposals to amend, delete or add to the Constitution, shall be
submitted in writing to the Honorary Secretary not later than 21 days prior to the AGM or Pre-Season
Meeting, and circulated to all members 14 days prior to the meeting.
19. At any General Meeting a quorum shall be not less than 25% of the current full membership.
20. All votes at a General Meeting shall be decided by a simple majority of those present and entitled to vote, except votes to amend the constitution, dissolve the Club or as stated in Par. 15 above, voting for Officers and Management Committee members shall be as described in Par. 7.
21. Candidates/or membership must be proposed and seconded by two full members of the Club on the form provided which shall be delivered to the Honorary Secretary, and then displayed on the Notice Board for seven days, prior to consideration by the Management Committee. Upon election, a Member shall, after payment of the subscription, be entitled to the fill privileges of the Club. Subscriptions are annual and should be paid by the 1st of April of each year. Any Member whose
subscription is unpaid on the 1st day of June in any year shall forfeit their rights to membership and in the interim shall not be entitled to any of the privileges of the Club. A full list of members shall be kept in the Club House.
22. Associate Members shall be entitled to use the facilities of the Club, including the Bar, but may only play on the green as invited guests as per By-Laws. Associate Members shall be entitled to attend Club General Meetings but shall not be eligible to vote, and may only serve on committees if co-opted.
23. The Management Committee shall have the right to refuse membership to any applicant and to
suspend or rescind membership of any member, subject to that member’s right of appeal, following
the guidelines outlined by Bowls England.
24. Members shall be permitted to introduce guests to the Club, and shall be responsible for entering the guest‘s name, also the date of introduction, in the book provided for that purpose.
25. Any nomination for Life Membership must first be approved by the Management Committee andthereafter confirmed at the AGM or Special General Meeting. Such members will have the privileges of Full Membership.
26. The bar shall be under the control of the Bar Committee, which shall consist of a Bar Manager and
two other Club Members, elected at the Annual General Meeting. The Bar Committee shall ensure
that no individual shall gain from the purchase or sale of liquor. No intoxicating liquor shall be
supplied by, or on behalf of the Club for consumption off the premises. The opening hours for the bar
shall be as agreed by the Management Committee, in accordance with the licence held, and as shown
in the Club By-Laws.
27. Intoxicating liquor may be supplied on the Club premises to Club visitors or persons attending a
function on the premises organized by the Club, provided they have been introduced in accordance
with 24 above.
28. Members of the Club and guests who have not attained the age of eighteen years, shall be permitted to participate in any of the functions of the Club, but may not be served with intoxicating liquor.
29. The Club is a non-profit making organization. All profits and surpluses to be used to maintain and
improve the Club facilities.
30. The Club‘s Financial Year shall end on the 30th September.
31. The Honorary Treasurer shall be responsible for maintaining the financial books and records of the
club, and reporting the position to the Committee at each meeting. The Hon. Treasurer will also
present the Audited report and accounts for the year ended 30th September at the Annual Pre-Season
Meeting the following year. This meeting will adopt the accounts and approve the appointment of the
Auditor for the next year.
32. All Club funds shall be lodged in the name of the club at a bank and/or Building Society agreed by the Management Committee from time to time. Cheques on these accounts are to be signed jointly by any two of the President, Honorary Treasurer or Honorary Secretary.
Dissolution of the Club
33. The Club may be dissolved by a resolution approved by a two-thirds majority of members of the Club at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose. Any remaining assets of the Club, following the settlement of all debts and liabilities of the Club, shall be disposed of by the Management Committee, and in accordance with direction of two-thirds of the members present at the Special General Meeting called to dissolve the Club.
34. The Club, the Management Committee, individual officers and members do not accept any liability
for loss or damage to any properly of persons using the Club facilities or for any injury however
As amended at WBC AGM 21 October 2018